Tuesday 5 May 2020

One Song Wonders: Sister Goose and the Ducklings

I have this ongoing weird obsession with musical outfits that only recorded one song ever.  Not one single, one _song_.  Aspidistra, Elizabeth City State, Arthur Miles.  Sphinx Tush, although as Sedric well knows there are two different versions of their one song.  Johannes Brahms, if he counts, I guess, but that's true for a lot of people from the dawn of recording.  I'm told there's a recording of Tchaikovsky made in Russia in the 1890s.  Haven't heard it.

Anyway it's a list that mainly lives in my head and bits of it keep dropping off, only to be remembered later after months or years of intense searching... took me three and a half years to remember the title of "Where the Mind Can Breathe" by Sharon Redd & Groove Myers, part of an advertising campaign for Amoco's "Nice Clean Petrol".  Both morally heinous and a pretty good psychedelic pop tune!  I try to write these things down but then I lose the list.

My point is this!  "Super Shine #9" by Sister Goose and the Ducklings.  A nice funk jam by a band nobody knows anything about except that they appeared on the funk-tastic soundtrack to Gordon's War by the duo Badder than Evil, made up of Al Elias and Andy Badale.  Oh, you may know Badale better under his real name, Angelo Badalamenti.  Elias went on to write what sounds suspiciously like a trans-baiting novelty single and was never heard from again after it sank without trace.

Here's a link, though it may be region-blocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZCxKGFJ-BU

Anyway.  That brings my list of one song wonders up to five.  That I can remember today.

No comments:

Post a Comment