Tuesday 16 June 2020

All The Way Down The Rabbit Hole

The harder things get, the deeper I dig.  I'm digging pretty deep lately.

Ten minutes ago a friend of mine casually mentioned that they enjoy American Primitivism.  This occasioned my third deep dive into the lower reaches of RYM's genre charts in the last week.  This in turn took me to "Raphael Roginski Plays John Coltrane and Langston Hughes African Mystic Music".  When I went looking for this record by searching for "raphael coltrane" I found a completely different record, this one being Raphael Imbert's 2008 record "Bach Coltrane".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k_5I0J1Jv0

Fun fact: The first saxophone player in the video bears an uncanny resemblance to my brother Bill, who does not play the saxophone.

I don't know how I feel about this video but I thought I would share, because if I don't, who will?

I also found a record by a gentleman by the name of Danny Paul Grody entitled "Between Two Worlds".  This was also the title of the first Octo Octa record.  I can't listen to the first Octo Octa record because it's too painful.  I can listen to the Danny Paul Grody record but it's not exactly to my taste.  Too much reverb.

Additionally, I ran across a record by "Slow Heart Music" entitled "This Body Is Not Me".  This is a reversal of the equation expressed on the first album by queercore act God Is My Co-Pilot, "I Am Not This Body".  This record I do like, which is strange because it has even more reverb than "Between Two Worlds".  I like that it really emphasizes the "primitivism" of American Primitivism (and in fact Ben Rath is Mancunian, not that it matters).  It is a cheap guitar simply played and simply recorded.  I don't suppose Rath means the same thing by the title that God Is My Co-Pilot meant.  I'm nearly certain that Grody didn't mean the same thing by his title that Octo Octa meant by hers.

No comments:

Post a Comment