Sunday 21 June 2020

Disclosure (2020)

Just a brief heads up about the new documentary Disclosure.  I guess the idea is that it's sort of a trans-focused counterpart to "The Celluloid Closet".

It's nearly all there, as far as I can tell.  Only nearly.  Ed Wood isn't, for instance.  That fucking Felicity Huffman film, Transamerica, that wasn't there either.  But a lot of shit I don't know about, wouldn't know about, I had a chance to learn, and that was important.

I rewatched "The Celluloid Closet" just a couple months ago and it was super disappointing.  There was a lot of smug self-congratulation, this sort of "WE FIXED IT" vibe, which centered around, of all things, fucking "Philadelphia".  At least here the ending acknowledges that there isn't an ending.  I appreciated the person who voiced overt advocacy for space communism in this Amazon Prime production at the end.  Everyone whose voice is heard in the film is trans or GNC, and I appreciated that as well.

But for the most part the film is an atrocity exhibition.  I wish I didn't need to watch it, but I did, and I am completely wrecked.

No comments:

Post a Comment