Monday 8 June 2020

What Genre?

OK, let's try to dig a little deeper and see what I can come up with.  Today I'm trawling through songs that I don't have tagged with a year or a genre.  Could be anything.  I've gotten it down to 5,821 as of now with a little easy work, but at some point the easy stuff goes away.

This one - this one is easy to tag.  "It's No Secret" by Jefferson Airplane from "Bless Its Pointed Little Head".  Psychedelic rock, 1969?  Something like that.

Next up is Volo AZ 504 (instrumental) by Albatros.  I guess this is basically a pop song in its vocal form, but in its instrumental it's pretty deep '70s funk, wah wah guitar and dentist-drill synth.

Ah!  Pierre Bachelet's ripoff of "Larks' Tongues in Aspic Part II" for the Emmanuelle soundtrack.  Pass.  Pass!

St. Louis Blues by "Jim & Bob: The Genial Hawaiians".  OK, we'll call that "Hawaiian".  Not bad.

The Contents Are - If You're Relaxing.  Uh, sixties.  Harmony vocals and a little bit of jangle guitar.  A little Byrdsy, a little sunshine pop.  Less than two minutes long.  I'll call it sunshine pop.  Close enough.

Ah.  Here's my late friend John's cover of "Going to California".  That's a painful one.  He wasn't in good health then.  His voice is all tore up.  Pass.

"Moogies Bloogies" by Delia Derbyshire with Anthony Newley.  I don't know what the hell this is.  I really don't.  There are a lot of songs here I didn't properly tag first time around and forgotten, and then there are songs like these where I just can't even come up with a genre.

"Lightnin' Struck the Poor House" by Wynonie Harris.  Barrelhouse?  Jump Blues?  I'll call it Barrelhouse.  1948, I think it was?

"Shitheel" by Silica Gel from the "Scattered & Smothered" Wifflefist comp.  I'm gonna go on and tag this whole comp as "Plunderphonics".  Close enough.

A compilation of all of Thin Lizzy's guitar solos, 1973-1980.  I will call this "Mixtape" I believe.

Hammer Screwdriver.  What the hell do I call Hammer Screwdriver?  I guess I can always go with "Lo-fi".

"Overseers" by Sounds of Salvation.  One of those very weird '70s Christian records.  I think they were Episcopalians.  The mainline people get weirder than the far-out ones, in my experience.  Anyway, "Christian".

Biff Rose - Ain't No Great Day: God, I don't know.  This synth squiggle, and then this piano, and this catchy melody sung pretty badly out of tune.  Oh, my tag says this is Van Dyke Parks on the Moog.  Well, there is a certain amount of instrumental professionalism.

Unknown Artist - A2 Hidden Track From Disco Hamam (id please): Jeez, I don't know.  Psychedelic soul?

That's all I got today, y'all.  Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment