Saturday 11 April 2020

Wrongfooted

I enjoy trivia a fair amount.  My wife, for her part, enjoys British panel shows quite a bit.  So when the wife suggested we check out Jimmy Carr's little quizzes he's running on Youtube, it seemed like a light, refreshing thing to do.

I am, in fact, finding the quiz shows really enjoyable because they are just extraordinarily rooted in British culture to an extent that surprises me.  Damn near every one of these is an inverted version of the infamous diamond puzzle from the Zork II endgame.  So for instance there was one of those trivia questions where you are supposed to determine what the answers to the questions have in common.  As I'm enough of an Anglophile to be familiar with the rules to Mornington Crescent, I got the one about London underground stations right, though I was slow-witted enough that the clue "1974 Swedish Eurovision winner" meant that there was, somewhere on the underground, a station named "Abba".

It was a later question that had me shaking my head.  I got two of the answers, "Savannah" and "Charlotte".  The third, "Asda's house clothing brand", was another head-shaker, but I had enough information - cities in the Southern United States, surely.

No, sorry, the answer was of course "The Queen's Great-Grandchildren".  And Jimmy, you don't get to make fun of me for being American, not after the way you pronounced "Houston".

No comments:

Post a Comment